Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Quinoa Cabbage Salad

Holy crap you guys, I just did something awesome. Actually, today (with help from yesterrday), I did two awesome things, but this is the first post so you're hearing about this first.


Last week a big head of red cabbage arrived in my CSA box. "Pretty!" I thought. I've spent the last 5 days thinking of what to do with it. I've had this phrase kicking around my head--Quinoa Cabbage Salad--but I had few ideas other than shredding up cabbage and putting it in a bowl with some quinoa.

HOWEVER, that is exactly what I did just now, and it is AMAZING. Granted, I added some other things to increase the deliciousness factor, but it's pretty much just quinoa and a heck of a lot of cabbage.

1/2 head red cabbage (bee tee dubs--- this is a TON)
1/2 red onion
1 cup red quinoa
(did I mention this is the Communist Party Salad?)
Chicken breast
Salt and pepper to taste

The thing that I think makes this salad so freaking mouthwateringly scrumptious is the lemon vinaigrette I stirred up. Drizzle some over your completed salad and you will find yourself on a one-way plane to I-made-this-meal-in-under-20-minutes-and-it-tastes-SO-good bliss.

1 part Lemon juice
4 parts Olive oil
Some garlic powder (or minced clove)
Salt
Pepper
MUSTARD. About as much as the lemon juice, I guess.

Basically add them all together and keep adding different things until it tastes right to you. I made enough just for one salad, but you could technically make a bunch and keep it in the fridge for as long as you would regular salad dressing (I assume).

The other secret I should share is that I actually only ate HALF of this in one sitting. I intentionally made more so I could bring some to work tomorrow for lunch.

No comments:

Post a Comment