Sunday, June 27, 2010

Alfalfa Sprouts


I made my own sprouts, you guys! It is so easy. Let me tell you about how I did it.

I put two tablespoons of alfalfa seed in a jar (in retrospect, this was WAY too much. Not only did I end up having to split the crop into three different jars as they grew, but now I have way more sprouts then I can actually eat on my own) with 8 tablespoons of water. General rule is 4 times as much water as you have seeds. Cover the jar with some cheese cloth or stocking material and soak the seeds overnight.


After 8-12 hours, drain and rinse the seeds, roll the jar around a little to get the seeds evenly spread out, and place the jar kind of on its side and sort of upside down in a dish (it will sort of leak water so you want to make sure you have something to catch the water with).

Rinse and drain the seeds a few times each day for 5-6 days. Use high water pressure to keep the sprouts loose, or you can take them out of the jar when it's starting to look kind of crowded in there and break them up by hand. You may end up having to transfer some to new jars because there isn't enough room for all the sprouts to grow together. Eventually your jar will look like this:


And then you can take them out of the jar and eat them! Yum! You can also de-hull your sprouts, which this website is really great at explaining.

No comments:

Post a Comment