Sunday, June 27, 2010

Vegetarian Minestrone


Mmm, soup. I recently lost my soup pot, which I found to be a major tragedy, but I finally got around to getting a new one. You guys, this pot is huge and awesome! I love it. So, now I'm making soup. This is based off a soup on allrecipes.

Ingredients
1 tbsp butter
2 garlic cloves, diced
1/2 or 1 whole onion, chopped
4 cups vegetable stock, or 2 cups stock and 2 cups water (or the water you just boiled a bunch of corn in, if you're me) - you may need up to 5 more cups depending on how watery you like your soup.
1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes
1 large potato, cubed
2 carrots, chopped
2 tablespoons Italian seasoning
1 (15 ounce) can kidney beans
3 cups fresh corn kernels
1 large zucchini, sliced
2 cups uncooked pasta of your choice
A couple dollops of salsa
Cheese to taste (parmesan or other yummy distinctively-flavored cheese)


Process
1. Melt butter in your awesome soup pot (if you don't have an awesome soup pot, what are you waiting for?)
2. Saute garlic for a second then add onions and saute until they smell awesome (this is the best part of cooking anyway, right?)
3. Add stock, tomatoes, potatoes, carrots, seasoning
4. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes.
5. Add corn, zucchini, beans, and pasta, and simmer for another 10-15 minutes until the veggies are tender.


Yay for easy soups! Yay for SF being cold enough in the summer for me to want to make soup! Haha.

1 comment: