Sunday, April 26, 2009

Lamb-Stuffed Peppers



Thanks again, bread and honey... I fell in love with this amazing recipe as soon as it was posted, and made it soon thereafter. Total hit! Lamb is far and away my favorite red meat, and mixed with tarragon and feta all stuffed inside a delicious roasted bell pepper... divine. I decided to make it again tonight, and it's making the blog cut! Aren't you all lucky.

Ingredients:
A couple of bell peppers
1/2 a pound of ground lamb
1/2 a red onion
a few cloves of garlic
Fresh tarragon
Myzritha cheese (a greek sheep's milk cheese) -- I used feta which I think is a lovely substitute for the kind of hard-to-find Myzritha
Some kick (cayenne, chili flakes, etc)
Some oregano

Process:
1. Cut the top off your bell peppers, pull out the seeds and put them open-side down on a baking sheet. Drizzle some olive oil over the tops and roast in the oven at 400 degrees until the skins start to blister a bit -- not too much, or you'll end up with a soggy pepper. Take the peppers out and allow them to cool, then peel the skins off.

2. Saute your lamb with diced onion and garlic, add some salt & pepper and some oregano & kick if you desire. Cook until meat is just done, then remove from heat. When it's cooled, stir in some crumbled feta and fresh tarragon (seriously-- fresh is super important here. The tarragon absolutely makes this dish).

3. So bread & honey suggests doing crafting and adorable--and functional--parchment paper boat for your peppers & rice. I did it the first time but this time I didn't have any parchment so I used tin foil. You'll have to reference her post to see the real deal-- but tin foil worked very well! Another project for today was making chicken stock, so I used some of that to make some brown basmati rice that I ate with the stuffed pepper. Yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment