Thursday, April 9, 2009

Salmon!

Last night I made baked salmon for the first time ever. It turned out perfectly, fully cooked but still tender with none of the dry, cakey texture I hate in fish. My dad makes salmon all the time, probably twice a week, and he makes it so simply and it turns out so well--that I called him for some inspiration. Following his advice, I concocted a sweet-and-tangy marinade that soaked in deliciously for a subtle, mouthwatering flavor. Success!

I bought a little less than 2/3 of a pound from Safeway, which turned out to be exactly the right amount for Josh and me. It might have been nice to have lunch-leftovers, but there's always next time. I think I let the fish sit in the marinade for at least an hour, which definitely helped with the flavor and tenderness.

Marinade
1/4 cup Balsamic Vinaigrette Dressing
1/4 cup Agave nectar
a splash of soy sauce

Mix those ingredients together and pour them over the fish, which should be in a pan with high enough sides to accommodate liquid covering the fish. It's best to use the smallest pan you have that will fit your piece of fish for this, so the marinade doesn't become too diluted. Pour the marinade over the fish and add water until the fish is completely covered. Let sit for as long as you want, but at least 30 minutes. Pour the marinade out of the pan if you want to bake the fish in the same pan; I actually saved the marinade for use in the future, a plan I may or may not reconsider when the time comes. Also,

How I Cooked It
I would probably use a baking sheet or broiler pan to bake the fish instead of the glass casserole dish I used, as I ended up having to transfer the fish to the broiling pan for the last part of cooking anyway. Here's the basic idea.

Heat oven to 350.
Put fish in on middle rack, with an empty rack set to the highest placement.
Bake for 15 minutes.
Move fish to upper rack, broil for a little while (I forget how long-- 10 minutes? Maybe? Until it starts looking done.)
Remove, serve, enjoy!

yum yum yum. This fish will definitely make some reappearances, probably once a week. I need more fish in my life.

P.S. -- My stepmom filled me on in the secret my dad forgot to share with me: You know the fish is done when the fat starts to bubble out. Very appetizing, I know, but it works!

1 comment: