Monday, July 13, 2009

Cheesy Potatoes and Green Beans



Oh my god you guys, last night I did something awesome.

I was rooting around in my fridge to find something for dinner, and came across a bag of new potatoes and a bag of green beans. What delicious thing could I concoct these ingredients, I asked? I thought back to my dinner on Saturday night at this delicious Eritrean restaurant where we were served an amazing okra in a tomatoey, oniony sauce-- and it dawned on me: I could make a tomato-ey, onion-y, and best of all, CHEESY, stew!

Ingredients
3 new potatoes, washed and cut into bite-sized-ish pieces
1 "bag" of green beans (1 pound? Maybe?)
1 small heirloom tomato
1/2 cup tomato sauce (in retrospect, I probably wouldn't have used this. It had too many of its own spices in it and overwhelmed the flavor of the dish. Try tomato paste, or just a bunch of fresh tomatoes chopped up!)
a little less than 1/2 cup water
1/2 a sweet onion
1 clove of garlic
coriander
cumin
salt & pepper

Do It!
  1. Saute chopped garlic with a dash each of the spices until it starts smelling awesome.
  2. Add the onions and cook for a few more minutes, then add the chopped tomato(es).
  3. Cook these for a few more minutes, then add the potatoes and cook for (another) few minutes.
  4. Add water and tomato sauce, stir well, cover and cook for 4-5 minutes or until the potatoes aren't quite hard as rocks anymore.
  5. Add the chopped green beans, stir and re-cover. Cook everything together for a few more minutes until all the liquid is more or less dissolved.
  6. Add finely grated sharp cheddar cheese, more salt, and pepper to taste.

Tada! I even had enough leftover for lunch today. This would be an excellent potluck dish and makes for easy and yummy leftovers!

2 comments:

  1. The picture looks amazingly beautiful, and recipe looks so do-able, I might just have to DO IT. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw thanks B! It was SO yummy. I love cheese!

    ReplyDelete