Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Butternut the Juggernaut

So this might be the hardest time for anyone trying to eat "fresh" in Providence. The winters farmers market is filled with bread, meat, eggs, and value-added but the precious sweetness of peaches (though there still are apples, albeit close to the end of their shelf life) and the savory tastes of asian greens is a distant memory. BUT...if you were thinking ahead you might still have some reserves waiting patiently in a dark corner of your kitchen, the storage veggies. Now, my dark corner is not so dark so the potatoes and onions are sprouting but I still have my precious butternut squashes, the crowning jewel of my storage collection. I would love to break out in a long soliloquy about how we, me and the butternut squash, have a long and loving history but I have four potlucks to cook for this week and no time for that type of indulgence. So tonight, the agenda is stuffed butternut squash. General recipe:

-Cut butternuts in half and bake at 425 till tender
-While baking put some couscous, quinoa, and other grains in pot at appropriate time with some chicken stock (once the chicken stock is boiling, of course), cook
-when both are done, scoop most of the flesh of the butternut squash into a bowl and mix with your grain mixture, I also added some grated carrots and goats cheese- any other additions such as raisins, other cheeses, tomatoes would be great
-refill the shell of the butternut and bake for another 5 minutes

Onward and upward- next will be butternut squash soup. MMMM

No comments:

Post a Comment