Wednesday, February 25, 2009

CSA Numero Dos




Hooray! Talk about from famine to feast. This week I got a TRUCKLOAD of produce. I decided to bring some bags and transfer it from the box at the pick-up house, so unfortunately, no nice picture today. But this is what I got:

- 2 HUGE oranges
- 1 grapefruit, and one other thing that my roommate insists is a "pomelo" but is probably just a bigger grapefruit
- 2 of the biggest leeks I have ever seen. Seriously, we're talking palm fronds here.
- 4 sweet potatoes
- salad greens
- broccoli
- cauliflower
- 3 beets! Yay!
- Fuji apples!
- More delicious carrots
- DINO KALE (woo!)

So excited! This is a whole lot more than last week, so I'm going to have to try real hard to use all of it. In celebration I made this delicious and easy recipe from eat me, delicious.

All you need are 2 sweet potatoes, 1 of the HUGE leeks, a cup and a half of cheese (I used cheddar), half a stick of butter, and some salt & pepper. Slice up the taters nice and thin, cut off the palm fronds from the leeks and just use the white and light-green parts (clean them really carefully--mine were pretty muddy). Slice those up too, cross-wise. Melt the butter in a large bowl, add the potatoes and stir them around with some salt and pepper. The recipe said to line a 9-inch cake pan with parchment paper, but I didn't have any so I just sprayed some pam in the pan. Then line the pan with sweet potatoes and cover them with a layer of grated cheese and leeks with some salt and pepper. Layer more yams, then more cheese and leeks, then more yams. Press the whole thing down with a spatula and put it in the oven at 350 for 70-80 minutes, or until the sweet potatoes are tender.



Check out those leeks!

1 comment:

  1. That one is gynormo! I knew that there would be some savior to that totally bleak first week. YAY. Also, I am goin to send you the photos from today, but I cant blog about it from my phone. It's. Just. Not. That. Smart.

    ReplyDelete