Sunday, February 22, 2009

Nutty Rosemary Bread - with a cereal digression

This is my very firstest post ever - Rosemary Pecan Bread:

A disclaimer: Joey made this bread. There, I said it. He also makes a white bread called "Amish white bread" (also on allrecipes.com) that is really freaking good.

I make cookies mostly. And sometimes damn good fajitas. And curries. Also bowls of cereal. [Let me take a moment to talk about cereal. I LOVE cereal. And I love mixing various cereals. Probably my favorite combination is shredded wheat, puffins, and granola. But recently I've just been eating the Market Basket (for non-east coasters, think cheap Safeway) brand of cheerios with granola. Lena, I need to make your granola! What if I do that today? I just miiiight. I'm going to go look for it. Here: http://www.cdkitchen.com/recipes/recs/146/Homemade_Granola38838.shtml]

But I felt like blogging about this bread because I think all y'all would really really like it. It's a good sandwich bread, but I just had it with eggs for breakfast.

Nutty Rosemary Bread
0.25 oz active dry yeast
2.5 cups warm water, divided
3/4 cup whole wheat flour
1/4 cup olive oil
1/4 cup honey
3 tblsp cornmeal
1 tblsp dried, crushed rosemary
2 tsp salt
5 cups bread flour
1 cup chopped pecans
1 egg, beaten

1. In large bowl, dissolve yeast in 1/2 cup warm water. Add whole wheat flour, oil, honey, cornmeal, rosemary, salt, 1 cup (bread) flour and remaining water. Beat until smooth. Add pecans right before kneading. Knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a bowl coated with nonstick cooking spray, turning once to coat top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
2. Punch dough down. Divide in half; shape into two loaves. Place in two 9-in. x 5-in. x 3-in. loaf pans coated with nonstick cooking spray. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes.
3. Brush egg over loaves. Bake at 350 degrees F for 35-40 minutes or until bread sounds hollow when tapped. Remove from pans to wire racks.

1 comment:

  1. YUM Holy crap Becca this bread sounds amazing. I'm giving it a try ASAP.

    ReplyDelete